“I am the good shepherd; I know my own and my own know me.” John :14
Children will not care how much they know until they know how much you care.
Catholic schools have a long tradition of pastoral care and at Brownedge St Mary’s we consider pastoral care to be of the utmost importance. Our care is for all who are in our thriving community. It is respectful of the dignity of every person. Pastoral concern for all, especially the disadvantaged, is delivered through the school’s structure and pupil support practices.
Our pastoral care centres around our House system. We use our House system to group families of pupils, whilst maintaining year group forms. Each pastoral House consists of approximately 150 students, with 5 Year form groups in each House.
Our House pastoral care encourages the development of genuine and effective relationships between each student and his/her Head of House and Form Tutor. Having daily contact with the student over a five year period, the Head of House is in an ideal position to get to know them and their parents/guardians very well, and also to share in their growth, maturity, and general development over this period of time.
Some of the many benefits of our House pastoral care system include:
- Helping to build a greater sense of community with increased interaction between year levels
- Providing additional opportunities for students to lead, particularly in the older age groups
- Providing peer mentoring and support
- Ensuring that every student in Brownedge is known and has at least one significant adult to relate to or talk with
- Establishing, and instilling, a strong sense of belonging
- Providing parents/carers with a familiar point of contact at school
- Allowing students to observe the school journey through other students before it is their turn
- Increased school and house spirit
Our students genuinely care for and about each other and truly bond as part of the Brownedge family. The additional support experienced through our House system fosters a sense of belonging and enhances student centred support.
To find out more about our House saints please click here